Makeup artists and beauty vloggers are very specific when it comes to the camera they use, and for a good reason.
We have worked really hard to find and review the 5 best beauty video cameras for makeup tutorials.
If you simply get a clear idea of your budget and any specific needs you may have, and then choose one based on the recommendations we have made, you will be good to go and start recording some great makeup content in no time.
So, if you are wondering what cameras do makeup artists use for making makeup photos and videos, read on:
Top 5 Cameras for Makeup Artists and Beauty Vloggers
Canon EOS 80D
Why I Like It
- Incredible dual pixel autofocus system – extremely fast and accurate
- Very responsive, articulating LCD screen
- Availability of a headphone jack
- Great grip and a solid build quality
- Just the perfect size for makeup artists and most other vloggers or videographers recording videos indoor
Used By YouTubers: David Dobrik, Jenna Marbles and iDubbz
The Canon EOS 70D has been the most popular choice of makeup artists for a long time now, but now we have the EOS 80D.
Why I Like It
- Great price
- Very easy to use with a great Guide mode to help beginners
- Has both automatic and manual settings
- Compact and lightweight but very durable
- Surprisingly good audio quality at this price
If you’re a new makeup artist and looking for a budget option that offers a fairly good video performance and is easy to use, then it may very well turn out to be your best bet.
Canon EOS 70D
Why I Like It
- One of the most popular choices among the beauty vloggers
- Great for recording high-quality videos quickly without any need for professional help
- Articulating, responsive LCD and a great autofocus (and facial focus in particular) mean recording high-quality makeup videos would be incredibly easy with the 70D
- Surprisingly easy to use for a professional quality video camera
- You can get great sound quality by getting an on-camera mic
Used By YouTubers: Bella Fiori, Chrisspy and Kandee Johnson
We reviewed the Canon EOS 80D as our best camera for makeup artists, but we also talked about how popular the EOS 70D is. Well, despite the 80D being an upgrade and offering some new features, the 70D continues to be a popular choice among beauty vloggers.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Why I Like It
- Amazing low light performance
- Great dynamic range and an impressive improved ISO range
- The touch screen is so good you wouldn’t like touching any other cameras
- No noise in the videos and no loss of detail whatsoever
- Superior weather sealing
- Videos recorded in the 1080P quality at 60P come out amazing; you will certainly not miss 4K if you don’t want to use it
Used By YouTubers: Ben Brown, Lance Stewart and Alisha Marie
Let us tell you right off the bat that not everyone will be able to afford the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. However, if budget isn’t an issue for you at all, then the 5D Mark IV is as good a video camera as it can get for makeup artists, and pretty much all the other types of vloggers for that matter.
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Why I Like It
- Great overall video performance for the price
- Records great videos at 1080/60P
- Burst shooting is fast without there being any noticeable loss of detail
- Outshines most competitors when it comes to recording in low light conditions
- Very compact and can easily fit in your pocket
- AWB is surprisingly accurate
- One of the most popular vlogging cameras
Used By YouTubers: RomanAtwood, Zoella and Casey Holmes
The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II is another great camera for makeup artists that doesn’t cost a bomb. Sure, it wouldn’t produce the kind of video content the high-end 5D Mark IV would, but it would be a great choice for producing a lot of great video content on a budget.
Features to Focus On for Makeup Tutorial YouTubers
One of the most important features is going to be the AF or autofocus system. Focusing on the right subjects or elements can make all the difference to your video. If the autofocus is fast and accurate, it would make recording professional quality makeup tutorials a breeze for YouTubers and makeup artists.
The quality of the LCD screen shouldn’t be ignored as well. If you’re an experienced makeup artist with a channel that’s already well-established, you would want to stick to a camera that comes with a responsive touchscreen LCD screen. It should preferably be an articulating screen, as that would make it a lot easier for you to set the focus quickly and record better quality videos.
The ability to record 1080P videos at 60P can be a great feature to have as well. Of course, if your budget doesn’t allow, you may have to set for a lower quality of 1080P.
The audio quality can be just as important. While the availability of a headphone jack or even an on-camera mic can be great, it shouldn’t be much of a problem if they aren’t available given the audio quality is still decent.
The low light shooting conditions are also important, even if you’re only going to shoot indoor. As we said above, there should be no loss of detail or a lot of noise in the videos if you’re shooting makeup content, but these things are common with cheaper cameras when shooting in low light conditions.
A Final Word
We hope you now know exactly which one of these 5 best cameras for makeup artists you should be going with.
We know it can be confusing even if you’re made to choose from only 5 different options, so we also gave specific advice when reviewing each one of them about who should consider going for that particular camera.
But to summarize, the Canon EOS 80D is a great and latest option that should work great for most people in the beauty industry. It offers a great bang for your buck.
The Nikon D3300 isn’t the most impressive option, but it’s perfect for new beauty vloggers that want to start on a budget. The Canon EOS 70D, however, is a very popular choice of beauty vloggers, and a great choice for all types of makeup artists with a budget of less than $1000.
Of course, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is very different. It allows you to record some of the best beauty content you can find out there, but it does cost a pretty penny. The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II, on the other hand, is a surprisingly good budget option, barring a few downsides.
It allows you to produce a lot of video content very quickly without compromising on the quality, and offers impressive features for its price.
Now, go out there and become a famous YouTuber!