Want to get your music out there?
One of the best ways to do that is by making high-quality music videos.
In order to get film really good music videos, investing in a best music video camera is an absolute essential.
There are so many cameras available on the market and making an informed decision can be quite difficult, if you don’t know what you are doing, you can easily buy a wrong camera.
We have reviewed 5 best cameras for music videos along with their pros and cons to help you to make an easy choice.
What Is Really Needed for Music Video
It may sound rather odd, however, to shoot a great music video, you don’t really need to get good audio.
Usually, for a music video, the audio is added much later during the process of editing and it is synced during the post-production.
So, while buying your music video camera, apart from your budget, you should consider other aspects of the camera such as:
- Image quality
- Refined AF system
- Greater focus accuracy
- Compatibility with lenses
5 Best Cameras for Music Videos in 2019
|Camera Model||Video Resolution||Price||Camera Type|
|Full HD 1080p||$$$||DSLR|
|GoPro Hero 5|
|Full HD 1080p||$$||DSLR|
|Sony Alpha a6000|
|Full HD 1080p||$$||Mirrorless|
|Canon VIXIA HF G30|
|Full HD 1080p||$$$$||Camcorder|
Why I Like It
- Has a long battery life that lasts for around 960 shots.
- Camera offers HDR and time lapse recording.
- Offers both WiFi and NFC connectivity.
- Features a mic port and external headphones.
The EOS 80D camera from Canon is our overall choice for best camera for shooting music videos.
- Auto Focus: The camera features an upgraded AF system that offers better focus, especially when you’re shooting fast-moving videos. The AF is extremely precise and allows you to shoot in any type of light conditions.
- Viewfinder: The 80D features an Intelligent Viewfinder that gives 100% coverage which provides an extremely comprehensive and clear view, which allows you to compose your frame very easily.
- Sensor: The 24.2-megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor of the camera allows you to capture high-res images (which is why it’s #1 camera for makeup artists)
- Transfer Files: The camera has an inbuilt WiFi2 connectivity, which enables you to operate the exposure settings by making use of a smartphone2 via the Cannon Camera Connect app.
- LCD: The 80D is equipped with a 3-inch Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD of the camera allows you to shoot stills and videos from a variety of angles.
The camera also has other high-end features for movie making such as digital zooming, volume recording control, headphone terminal, etc.
The camera comes with 7 creative filters for Live View shooting and 5 filters for shooting videos.
The camera’s Anti-flicker Shooting function helps to get clear visuals in dim light and flickering light conditions.
Music Video Example
- Camera Type: DSLR
- Intelligent Viewfinder with 100 percent viewfinder coverage
- All-cross-type, 45-point AF system
- 3-inch vari-angle Touchscreen LCD (with 270° vertical rotation and 175° of horizontal rotation) with a smudge-resistant coating
- 24.2MPS (APS-C) CMOS sensor
- DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- DR modes
- Wireless connectivity
- Anti-flicker Shooting function
- Mechanical shutter system
- Shutter Rating: 100,000 exposures
- Shooting Speed: Up to around 7.0 fps
- Full HD 60p videos
- Time-Lapse Movie
- ISO speed of up to 16,000 for still photography and 12,800 for videos
- 4 selection modes for AF area
- Inbuilt WiFi2 connectivity and NFC
- Digital zooming, volume recording control and headphone terminal
- No 4K
GoPro Hero 5
Why I Like It
- Rugged, waterproof and durable
- Easy to operate
- Lightweight and portable
- Stabilized video and crystal-clear audio
- Under $300
If you’re looking for a small and sleek camera to shoot your music videos, then you can definitely consider the GoPro Hero 5.
Don’t be fooled by its small size, the Hero 5 packs an impressive punch.
You can shoot excellent 4K videos and 12 MP photographs in various modes: single, time-lapse and burst mode.
- Transfer Files: The QuikStories feature of the camera sends the footage to your phone automatically, where it gets transformed by the app into a fantastically edited video.
- Body: The camera has a rugged design and is waterproof up to 10 meters (33 feet) and does not require an external protective case.
- Display: The camera features a 2” touch display and you can preview your shots, play them back, trim your footage, modify settings on your Hero 5 camera.
- Voice Control: Now, you can also control your camera handsfree by using the simple voice commands and with just a press of the shutter button you can switch on your camera and start the recording.
- Mountable: It comes along with a bracket for mounting and you can mount it very easily to any kind of flat surface or your helmet without the need for any extra accessories.
- Stabilization: The video stabilization of the camera allows you to shoot smooth videos whether you mount the camera or shoot with it in the handheld mode.
Now, you can get the perfect balance of convenience and performance thanks to the Hero 5’s 4K video, touch display, voice control and waterproof design.
Music Video Example
- Camera Type: Action
- 12 Megapixel photos and 4K videos in single, time-lapse and burst modes
- Time-Lapse Intervals: 0.6 to 60 seconds
- Durable design
- Waterproof up to 10 m (33ft) without an external case
- 2-inch touchscreen display
- QuikStories enabled
- Voice control, handsfree operation
- One-button control
- Charger not included along with the camera
- Charger not included.
- Battery life is not very great.
Why I Like It
- The Vari-angle display allows you to shoot from just about any position you want.
- Produces high-quality images.
- Exciting features and inbuilt effects allows you to be extremely creative.
- Excellent performance, even in low-light conditions.
- Affordably priced when compared to other cameras in the category.
With the ultra-high resolution of the camera and the Vari-angle display which swivels to practically any position, it allows you to shoot from any perspective you want.
The inbuilt HDR allows you to get great shots of things which have both very dark and bright areas.
The camera offers exciting features that allow you to be very creative such as the black and white mode, ability to isolate a single color, posterizing, miniaturizing, etc.
- Details: The Nikon D5200 camera is equipped with a 24.1 Megapixels lens with a CMOS sensor that offers stunning images with vibrant colors and extremely sharp detailing.
- Low Light: The performance is enhanced further by the ISO 100 to 6,400, which can be expanded to 25,600 if needed offering the versatility to capture excellent videos and photos even in low-light conditions.
- Transfer Files: The Nikon D5200 gives you the option of adding a WU-1a wireless mobile adapter that allows you to transfer your images or videos via WiFi to your smart device and upload it on your social networks.
- Movie Mode: The D-Movie mode of the camera is equipped with full-HD 1080p 60i that delivers smoother videos and both the AFs, subject-tracking and full-time servo work together and keep moving objects in focus and sharp.
- Auto Focus: The face-priority AF can detect and track up to even 35 faces in a particular scene.
- Microphone: The Nikon D5200 has an inbuilt stereo microphone, which can be controlled automatically or manually.
Music Video Example
- Camera Type: DSLR
- 24.1 Megapixels lens with a CMOS sensor
- 3-inch Vari-angle LCD screen
- Intelligent Scene Recognition System
- 39-point dynamic area AF system along with 3D tracking
- Full-time, contrast-detecting AF
- 5 fps continuous shooting
- 1080, 30 fps continuous video
- ISO 100-6,400 (can be expanded to 25,600)
- EXPEED 3 processing
- WiFi and GPS compatible
- Inbuilt HDR
- The speed of the camera is on the lower side at around 5 fps i.e. it captures only 5 frames/ second, which is quite slow.
- Poor battery life.
Sony Alpha a6000
Why I Like It
- Affordable price
- Rugged and durable design
- High-resolution images
- Super compact and lightweight
- Hybrid AF that offers excellent image quality
If you want a high-quality camera to shoot your music video, you can get one at quite an affordable price tag without breaking your bank.
This premium, high-quality mirrorless camera has a superfast recording speed of 11 fps. It’s also amazing camera for photography and instagram, so you can use it for your social media.
The speed along with the autofocus tracking enables you to get excellent video and photo capture even when the subject is moving very fast.
Not to mention, the camera is extremely easy to use, compact and portable too.
The Alpha a6000 offers excellent detail and enlargements, thanks to the 24.3MP APS-C image sensor and the BIONZ X image processing feature ensures high-quality, realistic and true to life images with greater detail, richer tonal gradations and lower noise.
You can control the camera with your smart device via the PlayMemories Camera app and the images can be directly taken by the mobile device, edited and uploaded.
The BIONZ X processor and Exmos CMOS sensor enable you to get greater detail even in low light in the ISO range 100-25,000.
And, despite its small size, you can get complete control of the camera and access to its various functions.
The 2 dials located at the top and the control wheel allows you to select the camera settings and shooting modes very easily. And, apart from the “Fn button”, the camera has 7 buttons that are customizable and you can assign 474 functions to these buttons.
You can shoot videos in full HD in 1080p, 24p or 60p or 60i frames. The OLED viewfinder offers a wide viewing angle, 100% frame coverage and improves visibility dramatically.
The camera features a 3-inch Xtra fine LCD display, which allows you to photograph from various angles.
The WhiteMagic technology increases the visibility of the images in bright daylight dramatically and the large display gives excellent images and videos.
Music Video Example
- Camera Type: Mirrorless
- Recording Speed: 11 fps
- 24.3MP APS-C image sensor
- BIONZ X image processor
- ISO 100-25600
- Inbuilt WiFi and NFC
- 3-inch Xtrafine LCD display
- WhiteMagic technology
- Compatible with Sony E Mount lenses
- OLED electronic viewfinder with 14 million dots and 100% coverage
- When used continuously, for maybe around 1-2 hours, it can get overheated.
Canon VIXIA HF G30
Why I Like It
- Professional HD quality.
- 3.5” touchscreen allows you to navigate easily through the various menus.
- Portable and easy to carry anywhere you go.
The Canon VIXIA HF G30 is a huge jump in terms of the price compared to the other models on our list but it is worth it.
This is a professional YouTube camcorder and with this one, it’s not just the superior quality, but a plethora of professional-grade features.
The camera is equipped with a 20x HD video lens and an 8-blade circular aperture that offers excellent HD video quality and a beautifully blurred background.
The Super-Range Optical Image Stabilization ensures that any camera shake is rectified immediately and the subjects are blur-free.
And, the HD CMOS Image Sensor works along with the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor to get a large dynamic range and it also helps to reduce the noise.
The DIGI Processor also allows you to record in the AVCHD format (up to 28 Mpbs) and in the MP4 format (up to 35 Mpbs). It also offers slow and fast speed recording in the MP4 format.
The camera has inbuilt WiFi that allows you to share your music video files, send them to your PC or upload it to your social network channels via your smart devices.
The camera has a 3.5” OLED touch display panel that allows you to control the camcorder very easily.
The electronic viewfinder can be tilted up to 45o and the joystick allows you to adjust the focus, which allows you to capture the perfect picture with just the amount of depth that you’re looking for.
The camera features the Grid Maker that allows you to compose your shots precisely and the Audio Scene Select feature offers 5 modes that adjust the settings depending on the recording situation.
It comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that allows you to shoot for longer periods of time and also alerts you about the battery life remaining.
You can choose from 9 inbuilt adjustable filters that can give you various cinematic looks to your videos.
- Camera Type: Camcorder
- 20x HD video lens
- 8-blade circular aperture
- Manual focus ring
- Optical image stabilization
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
- Recording in AVCHD format (up to 28Mpbs) and in the MP4 format (up to 35Mpbs)
- 24p Progressive Mode (24 fps)
- Fast- and slow-motion recording (40% slower or 250% faster speed)
- 3.5” OLED touch display panel
- Focus Assist
- Cinema-look filters
- Inbuilt dual-band WiFi
- Dual SD Memory Card Slots
- Comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Quite expensive.
- No internal storage.
Music Video Camera Buying Guide
When you are buying a camera to shoot your music videos, your decision of the best camera should be based on your requirements, skill level, plans for the future and budget.
Apart from this, a few other factors to consider before buying a camera are:
FPS (Frames Per Second)
Choose a camera with a high FPS, as higher the FPS, the greater the details of the video.
For commercial content such as music videos, it is a good idea to use a camera that supports at least 30 FPS+.
Auto Focus (AF)
AF is an excellent and extremely handy feature that saves a lot of time.
However, if you want to get the highest image quality, then it is a good idea to choose a camera that has manual controls in addition to AF.
Opt for a camera that has an expandable ISO rating as this allows you to upgrade if you want to record in low-light conditions.
Buying a camera to shoot your music video can be a challenging decision, especially with the variety of cameras, models and brands available.
We hope that our review will help you make the choice of buying the best camera for music video much easier and that it will help you go viral on YouTube!
If you have any questions, hit me up down in the comments.
Thanks for reading! 🙂